I’ve speculated on many of the iPhone updates in terms of the features and functionality that will be offered in each of the updates, iPhone 2.0 June Update, the iPhone 1.1.5+ Update, and others, but the one common feature that users continue to ask for is Copy & Paste functionality for the iPhone. Here’s my question to all of the readers out there: How do you propose that Copy & Paste functionality would work on the iPhone?
We’ve come up with a couple options, but knowing that Apple always likes to find the best and most easy to use option, give us your input on how you think iPhone Copy & Paste functionality would work best.
We’ve had these 2 options suggested:
- Use 2 fingers to drag and highlight across text – this brings the problem of sizing the page/text, because the pinch method is already used for sizing.
- Use 1 finger to drag and highlight across text – this brings the problem of scrolling the page/text, because the one finger drag is already used for scrolling.
I think the best (and only option) for Copy & Paste functionality on the iPhone is to have it work in the following way (Dear Apple, if you like this method, please send a check):
- Press and hold a single finger inside the text, at either the start or end of the text that you wish to highlight.
- After say 1-3 seconds of holding, a highlight option becomes available, at which time you will be able to drag your finger to select text.
- Upon lifting your finger, there can be 2 options:
- Highlighted text is automatically copied to the clipboard.
- A submenu pops up giving the option to Cut or Copy the text.
Let me know what you think of these ideas, and if you have any additional ideas of your own.