When trying to update my Windows Server machines using the built-in Windows Update I had noticed that there was a single update that had erroring out time and time again. I finally decided that I should do something about it to resolve the problem so I began searching the internet and Microsoft’s site to see if there was a solution to the Windows Update error 80070490. Turns out, there was a problem with the Windows Update system installing the error. The quick and easy work-around was to download the update individually from Microsoft and install it singularly.
Here is the link to the download page (this is for the 64-bit version, if you have a 32-bit system, you’ll need to find and download the file for your 32-bit system):
Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB967723)
We recently upgraded a server to Windows Server 2008, and some of our old applications decided that they no longer want to work. We are now having problems with the asp:ListView object, constantly getting the error Unknown server tag ‘asp:ListView’.
I’ve found a few articles (quite a few) that all point to the web.config file, saying that you need to add these lines:
<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=18.104.22.168, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
The best (and only) solution for the problem Unknown server tag ‘asp:ListView’ on Windows Server 2008 is to completely uninstal the .NET Framework 3.5 and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Download them from Microsoft – Do not install them through the Server Roles feature in Windows Server 2008 – and reinstall them from the installation packages.
Hope this helps!
Many times, you’ll find it necessary to have multiple connections to a Remote Desktop server, and by default, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Window Vista, Windows XP, etc. limit the number of Remote Desktop Connections to 1 user.
On Windows Server 2008, the Restrict Terminal Services users to a single remote session Group Policy setting determines whether you can connect to your existing physical console session. When this option is enabled, when logging on by default, you will be restricted to a single remote session.
This setting is available in the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Connections node of the Local Group Policy Editor. You can also configure this setting in Terminal Services Configuration. The Restrict each user to a single session setting appears in Edit settings in the General section.
If you would like to have multiple simultaneous sessions for the same user, please uncheck this setting or set this group policy as Disabled.
For more information regarding Changes to remote administration in Windows Server 2008, please refer to the following KB article:
Changes to remote administration in Windows Server 2008
So twice now, I’ve had a problem where an IIS7 Application pool unexpectedly stops and does not restart itself, and it does not put any events in the event log that help to track the root of the problem. On a server that runs about 20 different websites, all other sites continue to function normally, it has just been 1 site, on 3 different occassions now that ceases to run. For some reason, it just stops, and when looking at the application pool list, it has a stopped icon next to it:
There is an option under the “Advanced Settings” – just right click on the application to get there. Select Advanced Settings and you’ll be presented with a screen that looks like this:
Apparently, if you set the Start Automatically option to True your application will restart if it crashes, but this hasn’t been the case for me. Each time my application has crashed (with the Start Automatically option set to True) the application hasn’t restarted on its own, I’ve had to login to the server remotely to restart the application.